Just a few things that are on my mind and on my to-do list. [In preparation for a year long road trip — count down 4 weeks to go]
- Tax … almost have this ticked off, just a few things to finish off before sending it off to my accountant.
- New homes ~ Piano … hopefully we have someone willing to give our old and heavy piano a new home. Ditto to our Muscovy duck family, looking for a new home for them right now. Freecycle is great isn’t it?! (we also just found a new home for our son’s loft bed).
- All the musicales and recitals and shows are finishing up this week, just two more events and then we are done for the year.
- In the middle of a pile of boxes, a trailer load full and ready to go to the tip, bags of things to take to the second hand shop. Feeling slightly overwhelmed for sure.
- Craft supplies, fabric, quilts — all packed up. But have left a sewing machine out for last minute repairs, projects and ideas. Need to cut down some sheets and make some fitted sheets for camping stretchers for kids.
Books to finish up the year … maybe add to your christmas wish list!?
Donna Kooler’s Encyclopedia of Crochet and Encyclopedia of Knitting [Leisure Arts]. I very much like both of these books. They are big! And include lots of stitch diagrams, charts, sweater patterns and tutorials. I love the baggy hat in the knitting books and the circle blanket in the crochet book.
Build the Perfect Bug Out Bag: Your 72-Hour Disaster Survival Kit by Creek Stewart [Betterway Books (May 18, 2012)]. Seriously great book for survivalists, or weekend campers. ‘Bugging out': to abandone your home due to unexpected emergency. Not such an unlikely scenario. Did you know that pretty much all of New Zealand is prepped for disaster with a 72 hour survival kit. So This book will show you the best multi-use items to have in your bug out bag as well as tell you how to use them.
The Twelve Knits of Christmas by Fiona Goble [Andrews McMeel Publishing (October 30, 2012)]. Based on the song ’12 days of christmas’, lots of fun and cute knits in here, and you can sing along as you knit!
Drawing Comics Lab: 52 Exercises on Characters, Panels, Storytelling, Publishing & Professional Practices by Robyn Chapman [Quarry Books (November 1, 2012)] Not just another how-to-draw book. This book covers the whole gamut of constructing a comic — the storyline, creating the atmosphere and characters, developing your style and personality, how to tell stories. Plus lots of examples and exercises — great gift for the budding comic book author. I really liked this book!
In the Studio with Angela Walters: Machine-Quilting Design Concepts Add Movement, Contrast, Depth & More [C&T Publishing (December 16, 2012)]. Oh what a treat this book is. One of the most useful books on machine quilting at home I have seen in a while. It includes styles, methods and purposes of quilting as well as providing patterns and lots of examples and how-tos. Love the sketchbooks too!
Cool things that I like
- And a kids magazine — BIG kids magazine, love the 3d cover, it comes with glasses. Fun!
- Camping and cooking — do you have any camp recipes I can file away?
- Love these rainbow mitts on ravelry
- My kids thought I was weird looking up shoe-lace patterns
- I am adding biminbap to my camp cooking repertoire
- Midnight milk punch for christmas?
- Holiday gift cards – I like these
- Pinecone garland — pretty
- Orange cardamon cake – yes please or chocolate and orange cake or chocolate peppermint roll
- Crochet pullover pattern
- I am dreaming about trifle
Action Pack Kids Magazine News
- Download project extract — How To Make Healing Salves. These are so amazing … you will love these. downloadable PDF.
- New: Launched the Family Apothecary Action Pack Magazine – hope you love it!
- Taking submissions for next year … Read our submissions themes [we have a preschool issue in the works] – check out our Pinterest ideas boards [creating with nature :: preschool sensory projects :: creating with the elements :: and submit an idea!
- Action Pack back issues pack are available for a 25% discount – at the shop.
- Keep in touch with our Road Trip planning — we are on the road in 2013