Yarn bombing fabulousness

by KateG on 01/09/2013

in Community + Creativity, knitting+crochet+yarn, Whip-Up

yarnbombedtractor02

Have you ever seen a tractor so glorious?

yarnbombedtractor01

I saw these pictures of a Yarnbombed Tractor named Alice, part of Kingaroy’s Tractor Tattoo, on Sparkling Adventures.

I’d love to share some more yarn bombing.  If you have yarn bombed, or know of any yarn bombing, let me know all about it in the comments, or send me some info and pics to vagusvenus (at) gmail (dot) com

1 Suzanne September 1, 2013 at 2:48 pm

That is amazing!

2 rebecca September 1, 2013 at 5:34 pm

that is really cute! did you see that an entire bridge was yarn bombed in Pittsburgh, PA? http://knitthebridge.wordpress.com

3 Missy September 1, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Very fashionable!

4 Helen S September 2, 2013 at 5:51 am

Google Saltburn by the Sea and yarn bombing. This lovely Victorian seaside town in the NE of England has been yarnbombing the pier since the Kate and Williams wedding and displays have included the Golden Jubilee, Prince Harry’s indiscretions in Las Vegas and the Olympics. There is currently a fishy theme.

5 Maria G. September 5, 2013 at 5:00 am

The tractor is just adorable. I think it is made for a lady-farmer! So many colors and flowers make it look very unusual. I think it took quite a lot of time and efforts to sew and bind all those details which decorate this tractor.

6 Dianne September 7, 2013 at 10:09 am

There was a fantastic yarn bombed tractor (not as colourful as your pic though) at the Melbourne Show last year. And an entire hill in the UK was yarn bombed earlier this year (look for “kitterstone clee giant’s scarf”).

7 Nancy September 7, 2013 at 10:38 am

In the winter of 2010, just after emerging from a rare but deep freeze and blizzard, a small town just west of Cape May, NJ was “Yarn Bombed” by mystery knitters.
Here is a link to an article and some photos:

8 Claire September 12, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Holy cow! That is the coolest tractor ever. I haven’t personally yarn bombed (really more of a sewer…is stitch bombing a thing?), but I see small scale yarn bombs all over town.

9 Nina September 24, 2013 at 10:34 am

Does a tree or a bridge really need a sweater? How about yarn bombing homeless people? Now that would useful.

10 KateG September 26, 2013 at 6:24 am

I think that the world needs beauty and creativity and art and expression and generosity and charity. Yarn bombing isn’t a bad place to start. I wonder how many yarn bomb artists also make knits for charity.

11 Nancy September 25, 2013 at 10:07 am

Here is a more charitable twist on yarn-bombing: There is a group called Knots of Love – who make caps for chemo patients and others facing life-threatening illnesses. To raise awareness, they did a yarn-bomb in California.
http://www.knotsoflove.org/knots-of-love-yarn-bombs-the-lab-anti-mall-in-costa-mesa-ca It created interest in their cause and brought the need for warmth, love, and support for cancer patients to the forefront of the minds of shoppers and passersby. Subsequently, they said cap donations increased.

12 KateG September 26, 2013 at 6:25 am

wonderful! Thanks for sharing this link and story. I’m heartened that cap donations increased after the publicity generated with public yarn bombing.