Spring!

by KateG on September 6, 2013

in Whip-Up

blossoms

In my patch of the world spring has arrived!  We have four very distinct seasons where I am, and these are the blossoms that greet me every time I arrive home, or walk out to the mail box.  Bees and tiny birds are all over my tree, it makes me so happy.  I feel like I’m coming out of winter hibernation, and feel energised to make, to read, to cook, and to spend more time outside.

I’m racing to finish knitting a cardigan so that I can wear it on cool mornings and evenings before it’s time to tuck my winter woollens away for their summer sleep.  Soon enough I’ll be avoiding large knitted projects and sticking to smaller and cooler knits like socks and little shawls, and if last year and the year before that are any indication, I will get enthused to start summer knits just in time for the cooler weather to come back.  There’s always next summer to wear them, right?

I am not and will never be a monogamous crafter, with too many projects on the go at all times, so I’m never not knitting or spinning or crocheting or sewing something. I seem to knit more during winter, when it’s snuggly warm and no hardship to have a cardigan or blanket on the needles and on my lap on the same time.  Summer is my time for spinning, where I don’t have much fluff in contact with my skin, and the wheel creates a gentle breeze that keeps me cool.  It feels a bit like stockpiling yarn and ideas during summer, so that in winter I can really bed down and make something from my baskets and baskets of yarn.

How does your crafting change through the seasons? What’s the climate like where you are now, and what are you up to?

submit an idea to whipup :: vagusvenus [at] gmail [dot] com

1 annie September 7, 2013 at 8:18 pm

My crochet hook always finds it way out in the cooler months, then it’s back to quilting when the sun comes out…that’s if I’m not in the Garden!

2 treena September 8, 2013 at 9:39 am

Wow-what a beautiful tree!

May I ask what it is and how old it is?

3 KateG September 9, 2013 at 7:15 am

I think it’s an ornamental cherry (so no fruit, unfortunately), and it is probably around 30 years old at a guess. It’s blossoms usually only last for about 2 weeks, but I’m happy to wait a whole year to see them again, they always make me really happy.

4 Deepa September 9, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Thanks for showing us your corner of the world with cherry blossoms, as in ours the leaves are unmistakably starting to turn.

God bless the monogamous crafters, I am not one of them. :) I actually knit and crochet year round, though with cooler fibers in the summer (I made a slew of dishcloths for charity). And I garden in the summer, Minnesota summers are short and precious. Right now I am drowning in tomatoes, and the goldenrod, sedum, shrub roses, black eyed susans and zinnias are putting up a great show. The long cold winter is ahead. I joke that whatever I knit will be worn, and this is true…our winters last 5 months regardless of our pretending that it’s spring or fall. Enjoy your spring! I do hope to make it down under someday.

Will you let us know from time to time how Otilija and Orlando are doing?

5 Lisa September 10, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I’ve started knitting a new shawl, but this time of year it’s all about the harvest. Between a full time job, farmers market and canning/freezing I’m afraid I don’t have much time for my crafts (knitting and sewing). Here in Montana our winters are about 6 months :( so I guess I’ll have plenty of time after the 1st frost which should be in about 2 weeks. Enjoy your spring, I wish ours would come around again sooner then it does!

6 Maria G. September 11, 2013 at 5:25 pm

It looks as if it is a Paradise. I`ve never seen so many flowers on that kind of tree. The shot is really nice. It is rather cold outside and I wonder why it is still in blossom? And how long is it going to look like that?

7 KateG September 17, 2013 at 9:38 am

From first flowers bursting out of buds to a bare tree took about 2 weeks. 2 glorious, pink, sweet smelling weeks. Only about 48 weeks until it does it all again!

8 marion September 12, 2013 at 7:16 am

Greetings from Germany. We’re facing autumn, and at the moment we’re enjoying every sunny and warm day as if it was the last for months.
My crafting changes with seasons too. In wintertime I spend more time in the house, sewing warm cosy clothes for my girl, knitting socks.
I love to visit whipup-blog all of the year and most of the time I don’t recognize where you are :-).

9 KateG September 17, 2013 at 9:39 am

Whipup started in Australia, but we love sharing ideas from crafters from everywhere. It is always spring somewhere!

10 marion September 24, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Dear Kate,
yes, I know.
Isn’t it wonderful? I’m so gratefull, sharing ideas with people around the world.

Everytime when I visit your site, when I look at the kids’ fotograph on top,
I’m wondering how they are and I’m sad, because i feel with them.
Nobody should experience what they had to. My wishes and thoughts are with them. Nobody should loose mother and father, but so many have to.
so sad.